How can counselling help you?
AWARENESS - Counselling raises your self awareness by:
- providing a confidential and accepting space to express your thoughts and feelings
- helping you find new perspectives
- making links between your thoughts, feeling, and behaviour
EMPOWERMENT - Counselling empowers you by:
- putting you in touch with your emotional intelligence
- facilitating your ability to identify choices and make decisions
- enabling acceptance and coping strategies
When can counselling help you?
Counselling can help when you are:
- feeling low, anxious, or irritated for no apparent reason
- having relationship problems
- having to care for a relative
- going through a bereavement
- becoming increasingly reliant on stimulants (e.g. alcohol)
- having problems at work
- going through a major change in your life circumstances ( e.g. divorce or redundancy, ill health)
- in need of talking something through
What happens in the initial session?
This is your opportunity to find out what counselling is all about and whether you could work with me as your therapist.
This is also when you can discuss details such as fees and how often/how long you would meet for.
How long is a session?
A typical session with me is usually 60 minutes.
How frequent are sessions?
Usually once a week but can vary according to need.
How long do I need to be in therapy for?
This depends on a number of factors and can be discussed or reviewed at any point within the therapy.
How can I be assured of confidentiality?
As a member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) I adhere to a strict Code of Ethics. As a call of duty confidentiality would only be breached when certain limitations to confidentiality are identified. This would usually be discussed and exercised with the client’s permission.
Are the fees set?
Fees will be discussed in the initial session.
Do you work long or short term?
I work both long and short term and this is something you can decide upon at the initial session.
Do you give advice?
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy enables me to give advice when it is deemed appropriate. Overall, you will be supported in thinking about the issues at hand and you will gain a better sense of awareness and understanding which will enable you to deal effectively with your own concerns.
How do I contact a therapist?
Follow the links for 'Contact me' and call or email me when you feel ready to talk.